1) I-1.5 To create and maintain safe and healthy settings that foster children’s social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development and that respect their dignity and their contributions (NAEYC, 2005).
– This ideal is the foundation for my professional goals in the early childhood field. It sums up why I do what I do. I want to create a place where children will be able to express themselves freely and be able to develop fully. It is important for this to be in my list of ideals, as it is my goal to provide children with an environment in which to thrive.
2) I-3A.2 To share resources with co-workers, collaborating to ensure that the best possible early childhood care and education program is provided (NAEYC, 2005).
– This is important to my professional goals, because the work of an educator cannot be accomplished without the help of others, especially other professionals in the field of early childhood education. It is necessary that co-workers share their experiences and other knowledge they may have with one another, so that others can learn from these and build a stronger foundation for their work as educators.
3) 1.We shall demonstrate our respect and appreciation for all families’ beliefs, values, customs, languages, and culture relative to their nurturance and support of their children toward achieving meaningful and relevant priorities and outcomes families’ desire for themselves and their children (DEC, 2000).
– It is important to show respect for a child’s family when working in the field of early childhood. Collaborating with parents and community can help ensure a child’s full growth. Working to understand where the child is coming from by seeking to understand and appreciat his home culture and his family background will encourage the healthy development of the child, which ultimately is my goal.
- NAEYC. (2005, April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved August 10, 2012, from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf
- The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved August 10, 2012, from http://www.dec-sped.org/